Saturday, December 10, 2011

This Guy Says It Very Well

(from comments on Constance Cumbey's blog.)


Maybe in calling for financial regulation I *have* contradicted what you call a tenet of the republican rightwing gospel. But I'm not a Republican - I'm British. I am aware that I have more in common with the Right than the Left, but I try to think by biblical categories that are 10 times older than notions of Left and Right.

Mosaic Law had free markets in goods but regulated markets in labour, money and land/property. A man was guaranteed food if he worked (ie, works his land) but there was no social security system - although charity was regarded as a duty.

God is wiser than man, so how much of that can we replicate today? Unless we de-industrialise, dissolve property ownership and and share all land out equitably (which I am not advocating) then we cannot get back to a system whereby a man is guaranteed food for work AND there is no social security system. It's one or the other. Which way to go is the Right/Left dilemma of our time.

But there is no reason not to have God's way, of free markets in goods and regulated markets in money. That is why I said what I did. http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=11772087&postID=4058748648854562139

No comments:

Post a Comment